Cover crops are a great way to improve the overall health of your vegetable garden soil. We offer a wide variety of cool season and warm season cover crops that provide the following benefits:
- Fixing atmospheric nitrogen and adding it to soils
- Building soils by adding organic matter known as “green manure”
- Controlling erosion by reducing water runoff and nutrient leaching
- Suppressing weed growth by providing a dense foliage canopy
- Managing pests by reducing harmful nematodes and soil fungi
Cool season cover crops should be planted in fall and allowed to “overwinter” throughout the cooler months. Warm season cover crops work great as a transition between spring and fall plantings.
Consider using several different cover crops to make a “cocktail” specific for your needs. Use the chart below to see which cover crops are best for your garden.