Cover crops are a great way to improve the overall health of your vegetable garden soil. We offer a wide variety of cool season and warm season cover crops that provide the following benefits:
- Fixing atmospheric nitrogen and adding it to soils
- Building soils by adding organic matter known as “green manure”
- Controlling erosion by reducing water runoff and nutrient leaching
- Suppressing weed growth by providing a dense foliage canopy
- Managing pests by reducing harmful nematodes and soil fungi
Cool-season cover crops should be planted in fall and allowed to “overwinter” throughout the cooler months. Warm-season cover crops work great as a transition between spring and fall plantings.
Consider using several different cover crops to make a “cocktail” specific for your needs. Use the chart below to see which cover crops are best for your garden.