Our 24 Cell Seed Starting Trays are heavy-duty trays for growing any vegetable or flower transplant. The cell inserts are made of durable plastic that will last for many years. These reusable trays are easy to clean with a high-pressure nozzle or by placing them in the dishwasher.
Each 24 cell insert includes a bottom watering tray and a humidity dome. The bottom watering tray provides a water catchment system and a water reservoir for watering once the seedling roots are able to reach the bottom of the cell. The humidity domes create a moist environment to improve seed germination.
24 Cell Seed Starting Tray Instructions:
- Fill each cell with seed starting mix. Be sure to use seed starting mix and not potting mix, as the potting mix is too chunky and will not allow the seedlings to develop a solid root ball.
- Wet the seed starting mix thoroughly until the entire cell is damp.
- Make a small indention in the center of each cell. The indention should be twice as deep as the diameter of the seed you’re planting.
- Place seeds into the indentions and lightly cover with more seed starting mix or perlite. We highly recommend using perlite as this will prevent algal buildup on the surface of the seed starting mix.
- Water once more and place the humidity dome on the trays. Keep a close eye on the trays for germinating seeds.
- Once the seedlings have emerged, remove the humidity dome. If the seedlings are being grown indoors, place the tray(s) under a grow light. Keep the light as close to the plants as possible without touching the plants. This will prevent the seedlings from becoming leggy.
- Overhead water the seedlings until the roots are able to reach the bottom of the cells. Once the roots can reach the bottom, the bottom tray can then be used as a water source. The bottom tray also works great as a water catchment system.
- Once seedlings have their second set of leaves, also known as true leaves, fertilize them twice a week. Mix 1 tablespoon of 20-20-20 with 1 gallon of water and gently water the seedlings from above with this mixture.
- Once seedlings are able to be pulled from the cells by gently tugging on the stem, they are ready to be transplanted.
Paul Beatty (verified owner) –
Far better quality than what can be purchased at the big box stores
Timothy DeJong (verified owner) –
So much better then anything you can buy at any local store. Will be using it for years to come.
cheryl (verified owner) –
These trays are awesome. I hemmed and hawed a little before buying because they seemed a bit pricey, but they are worth every penny. I can fill a tray completely and carry it in one hand, it is so sturdy! The bottom trays and humidity domes are equally well-made. I expect to get many, many years out of these trays. Highly recommend!